Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Neo- Con and the Haute Hideout

I spent the last few days at Neo- Con an interior design tradeshow which was flooded with about 40,000 architects, engineers, interior designers, retailers, manufactures and who ever else may have slipped pass the Nazi security. Probably the highlight (besides all of the nicely suited men) was canstruction and exhibit combining caned food and architecture. I scooped the entire show, but when I was a bit tired of the crowds, sales staff, and commercial furniture I sought refuge to a few interior showrooms followed by a lap around the Apparel Center. I did find some amazing trim and I cannot wait to place an order. Look out for some badass pieces to come. I found some fun, colorful, and funky rugs which I am planning on buying except I need to buy at least 5, so if anyone is in the market for a designer rug slip me a note and I can pass some photo’s along. The 2x3 are about $90 each. Think Anthropology meets Missoni. For once I was with thousands of others who are that excited about rugs, although I did almost pass out from boredom talking to carpet reps. I don’t care how high tech and eco-friendly your carpet is I’m just not interested subjecting clients to an eye soar. When I think of carpet I think of germs. Hardwood and concrete are in find the example at my condo. Don’t be afraid to take a razor and slice that fug right out of any room, I did.
My next highlight was my invite to a 46,000 sq foot Asian interior showroom. Trust me I cannot wait to spend my entire day there! This also happens to be the supplier to nearly all of the Asian antique/ import retailers in Chicago. I’m hopping that I can see a replica of an Asian mansion when I enter this place. Although I was assured it is not quite as glamorous as the showroom at the Merchandise Mart.
As much as I could have stayed till the show closed, and free cocktail hours I could not stand to be in the air-conditioning a second longer. . I seriously ran to the exit I was so cold.
Next on the hideout. The doors have been open at the Haute Hideout and the customers are starting to slowly find their way into the mystery shop that has been a mystery for a few too may months. I’ve become acquainted with most of the neighborhood business owners and the other tenants in my building.
Over the weekend business was good with foot traffic, and today Wednesday is a bit slower. Ha! Well I didn’t even really plan on being open Wednesday’s anyway. So take that Belmont foot traffic. I did however finish pricing and tagging all of my merchandise, work on advertising, browsed the fall collections (oh yeah!) and I got to chat with a cute guy who works at the music store a couple doors down. The story of a store to be continued………

Peace, Love, and Ballet Flats

No comments: